www.thepetrosolutions.com

Heavy Naphtha Feed Average Molecular Weight

Home Forums Petro Solutions Forum Engineering Students Heavy Naphtha Feed Average Molecular Weight

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Hamzaali1999
      Participant

Hi
      Hope so you all are fine

I am confused in calculating average molecular weight of heavy Naphtha Feed that comes from NHT Unit and flow towards reforming unit.

As the formula for average molecular weight of gases is

M.W(avg) = sum of (mole fraction of components x molecular weight of components)

So let suppose I calculated the average molecular weight that is 92.6 (including heptane, hexane, pentane, octane, cyclohexane, cyclopentane, cyclo-octane, MCH, MCP, toluene, benzene).

Now according of one refinery the average molecular weight of heavy Naphtha is 99. And majority components are C6+ paraffins, naphthenes and aromatics. And I know different crude have different composition of naphtha and the composition may vary.

So can anyone tell me which components I am missing is my calculations?

For calculating C6+ components average molecular weight which components should I consider in my calculations?

Nasir Hussain
      Keymaster

Dear, calculation of average molecular weight of heavy naphtha is difficult because there are ~ 50 (C7~C12) range components.
      So, it is better to predict the molecular weight based upon specific gravity and boiling point or some other methods available in the literature. One of the methods is attached here.
      Handbook of Petroleum Processing by Steven A. Treese, Peter R. Pujadó, David S. J. Jones
      second edition

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.